Noviembre, 5 al 9 -2018
 
Mendoza, Argentina
 
 

Take a look at the Congress page for an overview of Mendoza City. You can also visit:

Mendoza’s official site, www.ciudaddemendoza.gov.ar

 

Enjoy Mendoza

Museums

 

Foundational Area

Mendoza was founded on March 2nd, 1561 by Pedro del Castillo. A large part of the city was destroyed 300 years later by an earthquake. Few constructions survived, among them, the ruins of San Francisco Church, located in the corner of Ituzaingó and Beltrán Streets. 

Mendoza’s Municipality made a great effort to recover and preserve its architectonic heritage. Pedro del Castillo Park was refurbished and during the excavation work several treasures were found, including the remains of the original Town Council from the Colonial times and the fountain that supplied water to the city’s inhabitants. The Foundational Area Museum with evidence of the old city and expographic design construction for people with visual and motor disabilities is also situated in this area. 

It is an “Interpretation site” archeology museum, one of its kind in the city. Its main objective is to protect and exhibit material remains found in the area, belonging to our heritage. Permanent exhibition halls display the different population stages in Mendoza and the growth of the city through various didactic means. See more.

 
 

Municipal Modern Arts Museum (MMAMM)

The MMAMM was created on August 8, 1967 to answer the demands of the large plastic artist population and thanks to two important donations of the National Endowment for the Arts as well as from works of art of local artists. It was first located in España Street (Current BUCI building). In 1973 it was moved to the current Department of Tourism Building on 14 San Martín Street. Finally during Dr. Fayad’s first term, the current building was officially opened on August 30, 1991.

In the current building, the Library and the Exhibition room can be accessed from the hall. The latter is a large area divided in the center by two lines of columns creating two wide 31 mts. long by 8 mts. spaces: the West and East halls that host temporary exhibitions.  

There is also a large storage area to keep works of art, including a collection from great Argentine artists such as Berni, Spilimbergo, Gambarte, Pérez Celis, Crivelli, Quesada, Scafatti, Hoffman, among others.

The Permanent Hall is devoted to art from Mendoza since 1930 and includes painting, ceramics, drawings, sculpture, etc. The Temporary Exhibition hall hosts individual or collective art and cultural shows. The Engraving Gallery displays a selected exhibition of different techniques and a collection of Woodcut history. There is also a video room, multipurpose room and Ricardo Tudela Library.

 
 

San Francisco Jesuit Ruins: 

San Francisco Jesuit ruins are located in Pedro del Castillo Park’s west corner. The building was erected by the Jesuits between 1716 and 1731. In 1767 when the Society of Jesus was expelled from Hispano-American territories, the Franciscan order became in charge of the Church. In 1861 it was destroyed by a devastating earthquake. 

The place was declared National Historic Monument in 1941. Currently, only the Jesuit temple ruins can be appreciated since they are the only visible remains of the old City of Mendoza. There is an Interpretation Center for the rescue and preservation of its heritage

For more information about the museums.

http://www.ciudaddemendoza.gov.ar/museos-y-bibliotecas-municipales/

 
 

City Highlights

 
 

General San Martín Park

For over a century it has been one of the most important green urban areas in Argentina. It is located to the west, very close to the city. This park was designed by French Designer Thays. It extends over an area of 307 hectares with species from all over the world. There are 17 km of trails and 82 hectares are being reclaimed.  It’s a symbol of the advance of man on the dessert. The Cerro de la Gloria Monument is close to the park and honors San Martín’s liberation deed. The Provincial Zoo is located at the foot of the hill. The cast iron gates with the image of a condor and Mendoza’s shield were acquired by the city government in Scotland from “Walter MacFarlane & Co” foundry to define the access to General San Martín Park. According to historical records, in 1908 the gates were already where they are today.

 
 

Cerro de la Gloria: This is a monument to pay homage to General San Martín and the Army of the Andes made by Uruguayan sculptor Juan Manuel Ferrari. The base is made of rock from the Andes. Facing the front and independent from this block, San Martín’s equestrian figure with folded arms gazing into infinity can be appreciated. Behind there is a group of Horse Grenadiers, 6 on each side, symbolizing the army’s departure (upright horses) and arrival (tired horses). They are 6 on each side representing the army’s 6 steps to cross the Andes. There are three friezes around the pedestal portraying scenes of the preparation to cross the Andes.

 

San Francisco Basilica: It was a project of the Franciscan order erected by architect Urbano Barbier in 1975. It was built on brick on a basilica plan with three naves, 0.90 m wide walls, and twelve large pillars with Corinthian columns separating the naves. It has gable roof supported by two frameworks and vaulted ceiling. Its raised position creates a large atrium delimited by four wide pillars. In 1925 it was declared National Moment since it hosts the image of the del Carmen de Cuyo Virgin, Patroness and Madame General of the Army of the Andes as well as depository of General San Martín’s baton.

 
 

Other open spaces

The city of Mendoza has excellent recreation areas including squares, parks and tourist corridors. For more information: 

Click here

 
 

Important information

At the foothills of the Andes, Mendoza extends over 57 km2 although its metropolitan area, known as Grater Mendoza, extends over 168 km2. It is the most important city in the west of Argentina, the fourth conglomerate in the country, after Buenos Aires, Córdoba and Rosario and extends over the whole capital department of the Mendoza province (Argentina).

It was founded by Pedro del Castillo on March 2nd, 1561 and most of the city was destroyed 300 years later by an earthquake. Few constructions survived, one of them is the San Francisco Ruins. In 1863 a new city planning was designed by land surveyor Julio Balloffet which is the basis of the current city. It includes a strategic layout with four small squares around a main square. Its main economic activity is related to industry (wine, food and beverages) as well as oil extraction and refining. The city is also an important tourist and university center.

 
 

Statistical Data

Country: Argentina

Province/ City: Mendoza/Mendoza Capital City

Language: Spanish

Time Zone: GTM - 3

Currency: Pesos Argentinos (ARG$)

International Dial Code: +54

Mendoza Population: 1.080.000

Temperature in November- max: 29°C (84°F)

Temperature in November – min: 15°C (59°F)

Electricity: 220-volt AC